Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Chicken (?) Jambalaya: Lunch at Ghafari, October 5

Fries with a strange combination of chicken, rice, beans, and cauliflower.

Today's lunch was possibly one of the least visually appealing things I've ever seen. The six different shades of brown on my plate did little to improve my hopes for this dish. Honestly, when the most color your food has comes from the fry basket, there's a problem.

I'm not sure why I've eaten cauliflower so many times since coming to Wayne. It seems to make some sort of appearance at every meal -- perhaps there was a surplus several years ago, and now the cafeteria is trying to get rid of their reserves by cooking what's left down to a mushy, unidentifiable brownish substance.

The meal as a whole was edible. I can't really ask for much more. Eaten separately, everything was painfully bland, but the jambalaya added a much needed kick of flavor to an otherwise unnecessarily rice-filled meal. Honestly, who has two separate rice dishes on the same plate? This isn't even counting the third rice dish in the cafeteria, some strange, brownish form of risotto, that I decided was safer to just avoid.

Luckily, I'll always have the mushy fries (sometimes warm, sometimes refrigerated -- always salvageable with enough salt) and some delightfully flat-tasting root beer to make my mealtimes tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment